Following the success of their previous work at Firs Farm Park and Pymmes Park, Enfield Council again turned to Turfdry's expertise for the construction of a flood relief channel and associated drainage installation project in Gough Park - now part of the Forty Hall Park & Estate, and former site of the historically significant Gough House.
The house's original owner - Harry Gough (1681-1751) - was a Director of the East India Trade Company, and MP to Bramber, where he used his position as the borough's sole landowner to exert pressure on the electorate to secure his seat in parliament. Gough House later passed to his son Richard (1735 - 1809) - who became a renowned antiquarian - before ultimately being demolished in 1899.
Now, as part of a broad effort to reduce the risk of residential flooding in Enfield, Turfdry are constructing a swale through Gough Park that will collect and carry surface water from the nearby road and newly installed flood relief channels in the park to connect to an abandoned section of the New River: an artificial waterway completed in 1613 that supplied drinking water to London from Hertfordshire.
A marvel of engineering in its day, the New River ran 28 miles from Hertfordshire to Islington. It relied on precise contour mapping and careful construction to allow gravity to provide steady flowing water, having an average fall of only 8cm/km (5"/mile). Fortunately - equipped with modern excavators and with decades of industry experience - Turfdry is more than up to the challenge of living up to this historical engineering pedigree!
Turfdry have been working closely with Enfield Council on the project to ensure that all earthworks seek to preserve or enhance the area's natural beauty, blending seamlessly and sympathetically in with their surroundings. In such dense woodland, all works require care and attention - in addition to close liaison with Enfield Council's Tree Officer. In view of the historical significance of the area, Turfdry have also welcomed Dr Martin Deane and the Enfield Archeological Society on to site to provide archeological supervision throughout the works
With the project completed in May 2017, subsequent visits to the park have revealed that the scheme has worked well since the construction period, with water being collected by the drainage channels and flood relief channel ensuring the waterlogging issues previously present in surrounding areas are now significantly mitigated.
Services Provided by Turfdry